Unless you’re a man with the odd goal of growing the longest beard in history, chances are, you’re always looking for the best electric shaver for men. This is especially true for men with jobs that require a neat and well-groomed appearance. Sure, a little facial hair can add some sex appeal, but maintaining a clean-shaven face is usually best when it comes to business.
While most women spend a great deal of time and effort looking their best every day, most men like to keep their grooming routine quick and simple—shower, shave, get dressed, maybe put on a little styling product for the hair and that’s it! Unfortunately, there are some things about male grooming that don’t come easy. For example, finding that ever elusive best shaver that most men secretly dream of having—that perfect electric shaver that gives a close shave with zero irritation and zero noise in almost zero time. Some guys get lucky and find an awesome electric shaver early on. They may try other brands every now and then, but they always come back to that special model they consider to be “the one.”
Unfortunately, there are others whose search is long and grueling. They spend years jumping from brand to brand or model to model, hoping to find that one shaver they can actually look forward to using in the morning.
Looking for the best shaver for men is especially more difficult with sensitive skin. In their frustration, they sometimes turn to women’s shavers in the hopes that it can reduce the risk of irritation. In the end, they only get disappointed since women’s shavers (although they are indeed gentler) are simply not designed to effectively work with the coarser texture of men’s facial hair.
What even makes the search more difficult is the fact that no electric shaver has that one-size-fits-all quality. Every man is different. Each guy has a different skin type, different facial hair texture, not to mention face shape. So don’t get too excited if your best friend claims he has found the best shaver ever invented. What works for his skin and hair type may turn out to be a total disaster for you.
In the end, all you can really do is go through the process of trial and error. For example, you can buy double-edge razor sample packs for relatively cheap – that’s about a dozen products for you to try! Or you can always check product reviews first before purchasing a new electric shaver. Go to review websites that have a solid reputation and always read online reviews with a pinch of salt. It helps to keep a few things in mind—if a review is too good to be true then it probably is. And also remember that some negative reviews could just be written by people hired by competing brands. You may want to know “How to Pot the Fake Electric Shaver Reviews”
Indeed, looking for the best shaver for men can almost feel like you’re searching for the Holy Grail. One must endure several disappointments. But sometimes, just when you’re about to give up your search and settle for a so-so product, the heavens seem to open up and serendipitously lead you to “the one.” It might turn out to be a product you’ve always underestimated or looked down on. Or it could be a brand you never bothered to try because it was simply too expensive. Whatever the reason, you should never give up the search. Once you’ve found that perfect shaver, you will know it why it was worth the wait all this time.
To find the right electric shaver, you really need to take a good look at your lifestyle and ask yourself a few questions:
- How often do I need to shave?
When looking for the best electric shaver for men, consider your schedule. If you work from home and you don’t need to meet a lot of people every day, then you probably don’t have to tend to your facial hair that much. Most electric shavers take a pretty long time to charge and this could be inconvenient for guys who are always in a rush.
If your daily schedule involves plenty of business meetings and social events, then you will always have to watch out for that facial scruff. There are models that allow for a quick charge—which can give you up to 5 minutes of shaving when you don’t have time to give your shaver a full power-up. If you’re the forgetful type, you should also buy a model that has a battery indicator to let you know when your unit is running out of juice.
- Is the head of the shaver the right size?
There are some electric shavers that look so good, you can’t help but fall in love at first sight. Some models look so sleek that you’re tricked into buying one almost immediately. When that happens, forget that flutter in your heart for a while and take a good look at its shape and its features. Is it really the best electric shaver for you? For one, check out the head of the shaver and imagine yourself using it. Is the size small enough to be able to run smoothly over difficult places—like under your nose?
- How sensitive is my skin?
Electric shavers don’t come cheap. If you buy one, you’d be forced to stick with it for a while, so you better choose a product that won’t be a pain to use. The right electric shaver is one that fits your skin type. The type of blade that a shaver uses is important. Foil electric shavers are good enough for almost every guy. But if you have skin that easily gets irritated, rotary electric shavers are better. The round, circular blades are flexible enough to follow the contours of your face, significantly reducing the risk of nicks and cuts.
- 1 Best Electric Shaver For Men 2017
- 1.1 Best Electric Shaver For Sensitive Skin – Philips Norelco 1250X/42 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor
- 1.2 Panasonic ES-LA93-K Arc 4 Men’s Electric Shaver
- 1.3 Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 (Model 1280X/42)
- 1.4 Best Electric Shaver for Head Shaving – Panasonic ES-LF51-A Electric Razor
- 1.5 Philips Norelco AT790/40 Caretouch Electic Razor
- 1.6 Best Electric Shaver Under 100 – Panasonic ES-LT41-K Arc3 Wet Dry Electric Razor
- 1.7 Philips 6948XL-41 Rechargeable Cordless Electric Shaver
- 1.8 Panasonic ES-SL41-S Electric Razor
- 2 Your Choices Suck! I Want to Select the Best Electric Shaver Myself
- 3 Buyer’s Checklist for Purchasing the Best Electric Shaver For Men
- 4 Tips for Buying the Best Electric Shaver
- 5 Electric shaver Vs razor
- 6 Conclusion
Best Electric Shaver For Men 2017
Best Electric Shaver For Sensitive Skin – Philips Norelco 1250X/42 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor
For many of the people who have used such in the past, one of its best features is the GyroFlex 3D System. This means that the unit has parts that move separately from each other while being able to follow the shape of face of the user. It also comes with a soft grip that makes it easy to hold the handle and gives the user control when it is used. Many were also happy with the UtraTrack shaving heads, which make sure to remove even the most stubborn hair.
Panasonic ES-LA93-K Arc 4 Men’s Electric Shaver
One thing that makes this model an exceptional choice is the linear motor drive that has the ability to deliver 14,000 cycles per minute. The latter ensures that shaving can be accomplished as quickly as possible with minimal effort that will be required on your part. It is also good that it is designed with a thin vibrating foil, which is only 41 micrometers. This is the one that is responsible for close shaving and the ability to remove even the tiniest hair. Lastly, it is also good when it comes to versatility as it can be used for both wet and dry applications.
Philips Norelco Shaver 8900 (Model 1280X/42)
If you are on the lookout for the best electric shavers, this is definitely one option that will not lead to frustration. Among other things, this is known for the Jet Clean System, which is an innovation developed in order to make it last longer. It also has a good battery, which can be charged in an hour and can last for up to 20 days of regular shaving. If you just want to trim your facial hair, it has a trimmer. In addition, many were also happy with its ergonomic design. This means that it can be easy to use since it is designed with the need of its users in mind.
Best Electric Shaver for Head Shaving – Panasonic ES-LF51-A Electric Razor
If you are wondering what is the best electric shaver for head shaving, you should consider brand name. In such case, since this model is manufactured by a trusted brand, you can be confident that it will be able to meet and even exceed your expectations. It has hypoallergenic blades that will prove to be perfect for people with sensitive skin. It also has a pivoting head that follows the contour of the face. It is also known for having a pop-up trimmer that makes it multi-functional.
Philips Norelco AT790/40 Caretouch Electic Razor
The lithium-ion battery of this unit is one feature that makes it one of the best electric shavers. It provides longer battery life. In addition, aside from its battery, another thing that is good about this product is the pop-up trimmer that can be used if you just want to trim your facial hair and not have it completely shaved. The rotary comfort system is another thing that should be highlighted, which makes it possible for the unit to glide smoothly on the face. With such, you can be assured that it will offer a comfortable shaving experience and it would not irritate the skin.
Best Electric Shaver Under 100 – Panasonic ES-LT41-K Arc3 Wet Dry Electric Razor
This is another model that is often listed as one of the top 5 electric shavers. The Nanotech blades used in this shaver will make sure that it will perform at its best and will provide you with cleaner, smoother skin after every shaving. To add, the fully-washable design is also a good thing since it makes it easy to clean. The unit is also designed with multi-fit arc blades. This means that it will follow the contour of your face, and hence, being able to deliver the highest level of comfort. Lastly, it can be used whether for a quick shave, or when shaving in the shower.
Philips 6948XL-41 Rechargeable Cordless Electric Shaver
The CloseCut heads of this shaver, one thing often noted in the top 5 electric shavers, will make sure that it will be able to cut even the tiniest hair on the face. Aside from the superior functionality of the shaver, they are also self-sharpening, which makes them able to withstand long-term use. The Flex & Float System is another thing that is worth giving emphasis about this model. The latter provides the guarantee that contact on the skin will be better, while being sure that the comfort of the user will not be compensated. Lastly, it is designed with hair collector chamber that minimizes mess when you are shaving.
Panasonic ES-SL41-S Electric Razor
This model is designed with 3 Nano Tech blades that will make shaving quick and smooth. More so, this model is also known for the Water Shutters. The latter is the reason on why it is easy to maintain its best quality, even if it is used for a long time already. It also comes with a pop-up trimmer that will prove to be helpful if you just want to trim your facial hair and to not have it completely removed. The unit also comes with a charging stand and a carrying case that makes it easy to bring wherever you will go.
Your Choices Suck! I Want to Select the Best Electric Shaver Myself
Ouch, that hurts. But it’s okay. Different men will have different priorities when it comes to selecting the best electric shaver for themselves. In the following section, I will list some of the most important factors you need to consider before buying.
Buyer’s Checklist for Purchasing the Best Electric Shaver For Men
Despite the fact that manufacturers have been churning out innovative razors almost on a yearly basis, many still find themselves desperately looking for the best electric shaver that will put their shaving nightmares to an end.
Even if we are heading towards a truly electronic means of eliminating hair—one routine that used to take a couple of painful cuts before you get clean-shaven—making the right choice for an electric shaver is not as easy as simply preferring one brand over the other. The cost of an electric razor alone is enough to give you a hint that obtaining such a personal hygiene tool is something that needs to be taken seriously.
However, when you do a little math of the price of the good electric shaver in the market and that of the weekly supply of razor blades, you will realize that an electric shaving device is a good investment indeed. It eliminates the need for blade replacements, which can really get expensive overtime.
Using an electric razor is not just about convenience. For many practical men, the right electric shaver is something that should deliver the expected results without the high cost of maintenance. In order for you to make the right buying decisions, you will need to study the tool itself—how it works and what are the features that make it an ideal purchase.
The Basic Structure of an Electric Shaver
It is pretty hard to tell which one is the best electric shaver to use since individual preferences and budget often dictate the choice. While there are many variations in its design and purpose, you only need to know the basic — the blades and the power source.
Electric shavers to use for everyday grooming is actually a question of which type of design you are most comfortable with. There are at least two types of blade construction available in electric shavers: the rotary and the foil head. It is important that you realize the difference between the two since most of the decisions that you are going to make will depend on your understanding of their individual operational methods and benefits.
Foil vs Rotary Shaver: Which is the Best Electric Shaver?
One important thing you have to do is look for the difference in the foil electric shavers and rotary shaves. Check for the effectiveness of each one and then buy.
Reasons to go for rotary shaver
In a rotary shaver, the head of the tool contains one to three spinning blades. The hair is removed through the circular motion of the blades, which effectively capture stubble in just one stroke.
One reason why it’s considered as a good electric shaver is that it often has a floating head that helps in efficient hair elimination. It is flexible enough to follow the contour of your face for close shaving.
Noise while working can distract you and so one of the plus points for going for rotary shaver is they are less noisy in comparison to foil models.
The handling of long hairs with the help of rotary shavers is more easy and better in comparison to the foil models.
Shaving along the counters is one of the hard times faced by many men. Multiple shaving heads in the rotary model give the better-finished job of shaving in handling hard contours. Hard contour parts of the face are chin and neck of a person.
Reasons for selecting foil models
The foil head shaver uses angled blades. These blades are arranged in such a way that they oscillate at a relative speed so that the hairs are lifted first before they are trimmed.
This type is a perfect option to purchase if you have a sensitive skin. Also, it appears that the foil type is easier to clean compared to a rotary head since the former uses horizontal blades instead of the more complex design in a circular head.
For a closer shave, you have no other better option for going for a foil model of an electric shaver. If you use the foil shaves in opposite direction of your hair, you are going to get a clean face in few minutes.
The biggest specialized feature of foil model is it can be used for both types of shaving dry shaving as well as wet shaving. Applying cream and lotion for shaving with foil model is an effective way to keep your dry face moisturized and give a perfect look and experience of shaving.
Both the rotary and foil heads can be operated through various power sources. The two means of electric power in these devices are the mains and batteries. In most instances, the electric shaver can be operated through a combination of power sources.
Tips for Buying the Best Electric Shaver
Now that you can distinguish the two kinds of shavers, perhaps you are ready to go shopping. Here are some points to consider before you buy an electric shaver from an online or local store:
- Efficiency – This can be measured by the amount of surface area that the device can cover in a single stroke, as well as the closeness of the shave that it is able to draw. Electric shavers to use is the one that has a floating head and an included mechanism that combs the hair up before cutting. Also try to look if there are available speed options for the blades. This way, you will be able to predict the effect of using the tool on your skin.
- Safety – We are all aware of the risks that are typically involved in using razor blades. And while they are not necessarily eliminated with the use of an electric device, it pays that you know how to handle and operate the shaver the right way. For your safety, the best electric shaver to use is a certain model that can also perform on a wet face. In saying this, the whole device must be waterproof so that there would be no risk of electrical shock.
Still, on safety measures, make sure that the shaver you intend to buy is appropriate for your skin. There are some electric shavers that need a lot of getting used to in order to reduce the tendencies of skin irritation. So far, electric shavers for sensitive skin is the foil head type.
- Power – Consider buying a shaver that can be operated through several power sources. This is to make sure that you get the right amount of power to keep the device running in optimum condition. The best electric shaver that you could get from the budget range is the one that runs on batteries. But if you prefer to go high-end, your choice of a device can vary from rechargeable to mains-dependent or a combination of both.
Those who are always on the go can benefit much from using a battery-operated electric shaver. It can offer a decent power good for at least 45 minutes of shaving. However, you should watch out for the expenses that you might incur for the replacement batteries.
- Maintenance – To avoid further expenses for the already expensive shaving device, make sure that the model of your choice is easy to clean. It is necessary that it is maintained at its tiptop shape. Many users recommend the foil head type as the best electric shaver that can easily be cleaned.
- The pop-out trimmer is another must have – In order to shape side burns and treat long hairs, most electric shaver’s features pop out trimmer for easy handling and adjustments while shaving.
- Look for electric shavers with 30 days money back guarantee – New shavers are bought but skin will take time in adjusting the use of the shavers, so there should be a time period for which you can try it and if it works for you can keep it but if it is not working well for you the way you thought it should. You can return the shaver if there are thirty days money back guarantee with it.
- Rapid charging – If we talk about the renowned brands of electric shavers then I must tell you that they get charged fully in sixty to ninety minutes. In the brands of electric shaver for the first time, the charging session is large as this is with all the equipment you buy.
- Quick charging feature – However, when you get a shaver it should at least work for you for the shaving session. For this, a shaver is supposed to work for fifty minutes to sixty minutes after a charging session. In case, if you are stuck in middle of the shaving session then the electric shaver should have a feature of quick charge. Usually, the charging time should not take more than two minutes to three minutes.
- Ample shaving time – 45 minutes of shaving time is a preferable requirement of every electric shaver that is fully charged.
- Expectations of value for electric shavers for men – If we see practically, the electric shavers are less expensive to ordinary disposal razors. In a research on both the shaves, it was found that a person is likely to spend almost $130 on disposable razors. You invest almost $ 100 -$ 250 on the electric models and that are non-disposable items serving you for years. Now think yourself, which one is more beneficial, and effective or convenient purchase for you. Definitely, it is the electric shavers. Cost of maintenance is another factor and according to search the cost of maintaining an electric shaver is not much in starting years at least for almost three four years you spend nothing if you are using it properly but some cost is involved in case any short circuit takes place or wires get loose in the machinery. Electric shavers are no matter better as compared to the disposable razors for every human being.
Electric shaver Vs razor
Electric shaver Vs razor has always been the talk amongst men. Men tend to have different views when the topic of electric shaver vs razor comes. Some men stay more comfortable with the old ways of getting shaved by a barber. The old way of going to a barber shop for a shave gives men more satisfaction since they themselves do not have to put extra care and effort to shave. Some men side with the fact that shaving at home is the best by using a razor. Since razor is not that pricy, it can be bought twice a month with ease.
In the debate of electric shaver Vs razor, most men would side with the use of razor. Such men believe that razor provides greater flexibility while using, like men can control the movement of their hand and can control the speed of the blade and can concentrate better while using a razor. Men say that razor comes with the option of changing blades and fixing up to 3 blades at a time in the razor. With razor, blades can be removed and only one blade can be used when beard is to be made, with one blade it is easier to remove hair at different angles of the face.
But, on the other hand, electric Vs shaver debate also includes men who completely side with the fact that electric shavers are the best for shaving. Such men believe that the hassle of putting in extra effort and always worrying about blade movement, the electric shavers save them from all this hassle and since the shaver comes with standard blades that can be used with any angle they need not worry about using a single blade for any reason. In this fast paced world, there is hardly any time to stand in front of the mirror and spend time over shaving with care and details.
So, men have views that never extinguish the debate of electric shaver Vs razor. Some men do not pay any heed to the debate of electric shaver Vs razor and use any of the two alternatives when they are encountered with various situations. Like if a man forgets to bring his electric shaver, he must be flexible enough to use a razor instead. When it comes to having a clean shave, men must be able to use any of the two ways and must not act choosy about deciding which one to use.
No matter how much you say that disposable ones are better but once you get an electric shaver you are going to find the reason for using the effective machinery. No more you have to worry about the injuries spoiling your looks by giving you scratches on your face. Redness of skin of a person due to different circulatory motions of shavers will not occur.